The Original Pantry opened in 1924 with five employees at the northwest corner of 9th and Francisco. They moved to their current location of 9th and Figueroa in 1950 all without closing (they served lunch in the 'old' location and dinner in the 'new' location). Interesting facts include:
-They have no locks on the doors, they are open 365 days of the year for the last 85 years.
-The restaurant's seating capacity is 84 people and they serve 2500 to 3000 a day.
-Their annual coffee supply derives from approximately 20,000 coffee trees.
-More than 2400 eggs are used every 24 hours.
-Yearly averages include 30 tons of celery, 16 tons of fruit, 50 tons of vegetables (aside from potatoes which consist of 208 tons used a year), 5.5 tons of jams & jellies, 188 tons of ice, 15 tons of sugar and 17 tons of dishwashing soap.